May you be blessed with warmth in your home, love in your heart, peace in your soul and joy in your life.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Noodles

I promised the recipe for the noodles to go in Sunday's post for Chicken and Noodles. This is my Aunt Barb's interpretation of my Grandma Mary's egg noodles. Funny story behind getting this recipe, as it came to me through my Aunt Mary Ellen. From what my mom says, Aunt ME spent hours as a newlywed watching my grandma make these, trying to get the technique down. The original recipe called for a half shell full of water per egg. Aunt ME couldn't fathom measuring with an egg shell.  I've modified it slightly from what Aunt Barb has, as the original called for a tablespoon of salt per egg and that just scared me. So, here we go. 
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 4 cups of flour
Crack eggs into a medium sized bowl. Add salt and water.  Beat until the eggs are a yellowy frothy group of bubbles. (Too much will make the eggs go flat.)


Add a cup of flour at a time and mix with a fork, no more than 3 1/2 cups of flour for 4 eggs.
The dough should be just a bit sticky. Allow to rest for ten minutes so that it will be easier to roll out.   Sprinkle a generous amount of remaining flour onto your counter or cutting board. Flour the top of the dough and your rolling pin. You want a good amount of flour as it will help to thicken the broth. 
Roll out to approximately 1/4" thickness. Slice into desired thickness and length. I like to use a pizza cutter for this part. 


Let the noodles sit for a half hour before putting into the chicken broth to cook. They dry out a bit then cook up better for some reason. Make sure the broth is boiling before you put the noodles into cook.  Cook the noodles on a slow boil for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment